Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A tentative salad update

Following my woeful salad year – in particular the second half of 2012, I am pleased to report that despite sowing salad leaf seeds 2 days before a downfall of snow, the seeds bided their time and waited until more suitable daytime temps had been achieved before germinating. They're still a bit small for microgreens but I'm sure we're not too far off!



I'm hoping to be a bit more organised this year as regards succession sowing so I can maintain a regular supply of fresh green leaves. And indeed red leaves, as these were recommended by the Tuckshop Gardener as being less likely to become victim of a slug attack. I look forward to comparing the two once they're out in the raised beds. 

5 comments:

  1. Food that slugs won't touch is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might plant a few of these lettuce seedlings out in the raised beds to see what slug activity is out there. If it looks to be bad I'm tempted to get some nematodes in to treat all the beds - I really can't put up with it again this year.

      Delete
  2. Agree! There's nothing worse than finding a slug chomping on your food!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my revenge by feeding them back to my chickens... Thankfully I don't seem to have had a problem with the invasive Spanish slugs (the huge ones getting the headlines in gardening columns and magazines). It seems to be more the tiny little ones that can climb up leeks, eat all the tops of them and then disappear back into the soils.

      Delete
  3. Watch out for that sedge in the snowdrop shot - it takes over everything! Don't let it seed!

    ReplyDelete